Knit Collar Tips:
- Yarn - I used Debbie Bliss cotton dk
- Needles - I used US 4 / 3.5 mm
- Two safety pins
- Tapestry needle
Knit triangle pattern (Make 4)
*Measure the width of your collar to get an idea of how wide you want your collar tips to be. Adjust the pattern accordingly to fit your collar.
- Cast on 13 stitches
- Row 1: Knit 1 (K1), slip one, knit one, pass the slipped stitch over, (skpo), knit to the end of the row. Skpo decreases one stitch from the row so you get an angle for the triangle. (Now you have 12 stitches on your needle)
- Row 2: Purl
- Row 3: K1, skpo, knit to the end of the row
- Row 4: Purl to the last 3 stitches on the needle, purl one, pass the purled stitch back onto the left needle and pass the next stitch on the left needle over the stitch just purled. Put the purled stitch on the right needle. This is called ppno and is a decrease on the purl side.
- Continue repeating these four rows until there are 3 stitches left on the needle.
- Skpo, K1
- Final row: skpo
- I used the chain stitch to embroider the heart free-hand. I recommend this YouTube video if you need help on embroidering with yarn! Maybe try it on a few old swatches for practice.
- Using your tapestry needle, sew together two of the knit triangles leaving the widest side open. Weave in all ends. Attach one of the safety pins to the inside of the knit tip and then fasten it to the tip of your collar. Repeat for the second knit collar tip. That's it!
I thought this would be a fun summer project to keep my knitting fingers busy, even in the heat! I love how it looks with this shirt too. I can think of so many fun color combinations for this pattern!